Getting ready for cooler weather is not what has been on anyone’s list of things to do during the heat of August and early September. So this blog is a reminder that, before Thanksgiving comes, you need to begin to clear the debris out of your filters, especially the liver and kidneys, and provide the nutrients and remedies that help your immune system have the resiliency to respond to weather change.
The challenge of seasonal changes in the fall and late spring catch many people unprepared and they find themselves with seasonal allergies, colds, flus, migraines, aching joints, itching skin and lung disorders. Also for those families that have their oldest child going to kindergarten, the mix of viruses and bacteria brought home for the first time to share with parents and siblings can be daunting.
There are many top quality herbal tinctures and homeopathic remedies that can be used, depending of the age and needs of the individual. When you are next at the office please ask me what is best for you and each of your family members. Depending on the age of the person, their health and disease history, their lifestyle and diet, the needs can vary.
In general, preventive lifestyle choices can really help your immune system resiliently respond:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap including the webs of skin between the fingers, for the length of time it take to sing “Happy Birthday” and dry completely. Teach this to your children.
- Try not to touch your hair, eyes, face, lips, nose and ears with your fingers, particularly if your hands are not clean. Teach this to your children.
- Drink adequate (half your weight in pounds in fluid ounces – 140 lbs needs 70 ounces of water) amounts of water every day. Do not force feed or drink very cold water. Teach this to your children.
- Eat 4 cups/day for adults of the freshest colourful vegetables possible. Teach this to your children – 1 to 2 cups of vegetables for children depending on their size.
- Skin brush with a rough face cloth, loofah or skin brush at least 3 times per week. It will take about 3 minutes and stroke gently toward the centre of the body. Teach this to your children.
Remember that 70 % of your body is water and the cleaner it is the healthier you will be. This means you must change over the water, sending clean in and evacuating the swamp water out.